Home

What are the chances of having a Down syndrome baby at 45

Hotel a Åre Svezia - Filtro cancellazione gratuit

Of course, with donor eggs the age-related genetics are of the donor — so that if a 45-year old woman is carrying an egg from a woman aged 30, the risk of Down syndrome is that of the 30-year.. At the age of 33, the chance of your baby being diagnosed with trisomy 21 (Down syndrome) during pregnancy is approximately 1/400. At the age of 40, this chance increases to 1/70. By age 45, this chance is about 1/19. So too does the chance of congenital disabilities increase with age Having a baby with chromosomal abnormalities (your chances of having a baby with Down syndrome at age 45 are about 1 in 35) Having a baby born at a low birth weight; Having a miscarriage; Having an ectopic pregnancy; Having a stillbirth; When to call the doctor. Call your doctor if you notice any of these pregnancy warning signs: Vaginal bleedin

The Having - su Amazon

  1. Q: My wife and I are thinking of having another child. Our first child was born when my wife was 36 and she is now 41. I have read that the risk of Down syndrome increases with the age of the.
  2. A 30-year-old woman has a 20% chance of conceiving in any given month, which plummets to 5% for a 40-year-old (3). At 45, healthy pregnancy with your eggs comes down to 1%. Through IVF using donor eggs, the chances increase to 70 to 75%. Once you have conceived, you will experience pregnancy symptoms
  3. A 1-in-300 chance that your pregnancy is positive for Down syndrome, means you have a 0.3% chance of having a child with Down syndrome and a 99.7% chance that you are not having a child with Down syndrome. Based on just your age, you had around a 1-in-1,400 chance of having a child with Down syndrome
  4. The top risk factor for having a child with Down syndrome is advanced maternal age. That means the mother is 35 years or older at the time of the due date. At age 25, the risk of Down syndrome is one in 1,250. At 35, the risk increases to one in 350
  5. Causes of Down syndrome There are actually three different causes of Down syndrome. The most common is trisomy 21, which accounts for about 95 percent of all cases. Tri designates three - so instead of having two copies of chromosome 21 in each cell in the body, there are three
  6. While the average occurrence of Down Syndrome is one in every 700 babies, once a woman reaches 40 years of age, the chances of her having a baby with Down Syndrome is around one in every one hundred babies. As you can see, the chances of having a baby with this condition jumps very dramatically as a woman gets older. Maternal Age = Ris

A 25-year-old woman has a one in 1,200 chance of having a baby with Down syndrome. By 35 years of age, the risk increases to one in 350—and it becomes one in 100 by age 40. The chances of Down syndrome further increase to one in 30 by age 45, according to the National Down Syndrome Society A risk is the chance of an event occurring. For example, a risk of Down's syndrome of 1 in 100 means that if 100 women have this test result, we would expect that 1 of these women would have a baby with Down's syndrome and that 99 would not. This is the same as a 1% chance that the baby has Down's syndrome and a 99% chance that the baby does not At age 40: 1 in 100 births. At age 45: 1 in 30 births. At age 49: 1 in 10 births. As a woman ages, the risk of delivering a baby with Down syndrome increases. Down syndrome is a genetic disorder. Previous studies have shown that the risk of a woman having a baby with Down syndrome rises dramatically after she reaches 35. Although this effect of maternal age on Down syndrome risk is well. For women who have had one child with Down syndrome, the chance of having another baby with Down syndrome depends on several things. Age is one factor. Most babies with Down syndrome are born to women younger than 35. This is because women under 35 have more babies than women over 35

How Frequently Does Down Syndrome Occur? Ask Dr Sear

This risk increases with every year, especially after the mother is 35 years of age. However, because younger women are more likely to have babies than older women, 80% of babies with Down syndrome are born to women younger than 35 years of age I have been on both sides, my pregnancy with DD1 was low risk, she has Down's syndrome. I'm now 19 weeks pregnant with DD2 and was given a 1 in 5 for Down's syndrome with a nuchal measurement of 3.2mm. The CVS came back clear. I wish you the best of luck and if you have any questions i'll do my best to answer them

Down Syndrome: Prenatal Risk Assessment and Diagnosis

  1. A woman giving birth to a baby at age 25 has a one-in-1,250 chance of delivering a baby with Down syndrome; a woman at 40 has one-in-100 chance while a woman at 45 has one-in-30 compared to a woman in her 50s having one-in-10 chance
  2. Down syndrome (Trisomy 21) 1 in 700-900. Untreatable. Edwards' Syndrome (Trisomy 18) 1 in 6,000. Median life expectancy is 4 days. However, about 5-10% survive beyond one year, so the mean age at death is 48 days. Newborns have a 40% chance of surviving to age 1 month. Infants have a 5% chance of surviving to age 1 year
  3. So, in most cases, a 44-year-old woman would have around a 3% chance of having a child with Down syndrome. The flip side of that means she has a 97% chance of not having a child with Down syndrome. The final risk factor is one that depends on why a couple had a child with Down syndrome in the first place
  4. As you probably already know, having a baby at age 45 has its risks. For instance, a woman is born with all of the eggs in her ovaries that she will ever produce in her life. That being said, by age 45, depending on your health and lifestyle, all the eggs left are older and put your baby more at risk for birth defects such as Down's Syndrome
  5. Older women are more likely to have a baby with a chromosome disorder such as Down syndrome. If you are age 25, the chance of Down syndrome is about 1 in 1,250. If you are age 35, the risk.

Your risk of having a baby with Down syndrome increases as you get older, especially if you are age 35 or older. Being a carrier of a certain type of Down syndrome. If you or your partner are a carrier of one type of Down syndrome (translocation Down syndrome), you carry (have) a gene change for the condition, but you don't actually have the. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 6,000 babies are born in the United States each year with Down syndrome. 1 Down syndrome is the most frequent chromosomal cause of mild to moderate intellectual disability, and it occurs in all ethnic and economic groups. 2 Researchers know some, but not all, of the risk factors for Down syndrome Down Syndrome is one birth defect that is definitely much more pronounced in babies born to women who give birth over the age of 40. For example, the chances of having a baby with Down Syndrome are around 1 in 100 for a woman who gives birth at age 40. However, once a woman hits age 45, that chance grows to around 1 in 30 Each year, about 6,000 babies are born with Down syndrome, which is about 1 in every 700 babies born. Between 1979 and 2003, the number of babies born with Down syndrome increased by about 30%. Older mothers are more likely to have a baby affected by Down syndrome than younger mothers Using this data, geneticists have set the number separating low-risk from high-risk at 1 / 250. Why is there a difference in frequencies between 16 weeks and time of birth? Because of the spontaneous miscarriages of pregnancies with Down syndrome between these times

down syndrome-

Risk of Baby Born with Down Syndrome by Maternal Age New

This risk goes up every year. If you get pregnant at age 25, your risk of having a baby with Down syndrome, for example, is about 1 in 1,250, according to the National Institutes of Health. At age 40, the risk is 1 in 100. If you'll be 35 or older on your due date, you'll be offered genetic counseling. This is normally done by your obstetrician. The mother's age is another factor to consider. We know that the risk of having a baby born with Down syndrome increases as the mother gets older. In fact, a mother who is 35 years old is three times more likely to have a baby born with Down syndrome than a mother who is 25 years old At age 40, the chance to have a baby with Down's syndrome is about 1 in 100 and at age 45, the chance is 1 in 25. So once a woman gets pregnant, both screening and diagnostic testing can be done to ensure that the baby's chromosome is normal, if the women wants to find out that information

Down Syndrome Risk Calculator babyMed

Over half of babies with Down's syndrome are born to mothers who are under 35. However, the overall risk for women having a baby at the age of 40 remains relatively low - 99 out of 100 women will not have a pregnancy affected by Down's syndrome. With Down's syndrome, the age breakdown is: 25 years of age has a risk of 1 in 1,250 For a baby that is between 45 mm and 84 mm in size, a normal measurement is anything less than 3.5 mm. The NT grows in proportion to the baby. A doctor considers any baby with an NT less than 1.3 mm to be low-risk in terms of Down syndrome. Meanwhile, a baby with an NT of 6 is considered high risk for Down syndrome and also other potential. At 45 years and older, the odds of losing the baby increase to 50 percent. Risk of birth defects increases with maternal age as well. A 40-year-old woman has a 1 in 90 chance of having a child with Down syndrome. By age 45 and over, the rate increases to a 1 in 30 chance of having a Down syndrome baby Down Syndrome. You may be asking why us if you have a child that is born with down syndrome. There was nothing that you did during pregnancy that could have caused this chromosomal abnormality. These abnormalities happen by chance, but become more common as eggs age Certain parents have a greater chance of giving birth to a child with Down syndrome. According to the Centers for Disease and Prevention, mothers aged 35 and older are more likely to have a baby.

Causes of Down Syndrome: What's Your Baby's Risk of Having

  1. Negative screening results mean that your chance of having a baby with Down syndrome is low, but they do not guarantee there are no birth defects.If you have a negative result, you likely will not be offered follow-up diagnostic testing. Positive screening results mean the chances a fetus has Down syndrome are higher than normal, and so follow-up diagnostic testing will be offered
  2. Some parents have a greater risk of having a baby with Down syndrome. Risk factors include: Advancing maternal age. A woman's chances of giving birth to a child with Down syndrome increase with age because older eggs have a greater risk of improper chromosome division. A woman's risk of conceiving a child with Down syndrome increases after 35.
  3. Drugs used in IVF for older women may increase their risk of having a baby with Down's syndrome, experts say. Doctors already know that the chance of having a baby with the genetic condition goes.

Down Syndrome American Pregnancy Associatio

At a maternal age of 40, the chance of having a child with Down syndrome is about 1 in 100, and by 45, it rises to 1 in 30. Historically, research on age-related pregnancy and fertility. The new Gerber baby with Down syndrome is awfully cute. I have had two children; I was old enough, when I became pregnant, that it made sense to do the testing for Down syndrome Translocation Down Syndrome is the only type of Down Syndrome that can be passed down from a parent who does not have features of Down Syndrome. If a parent has balanced translocation, there is an up to 15% chance of having another child with Down Syndrome

What it's like to have a baby after 45 - NBC New

About one in 200 babies born to women aged 40 or over have Down syndrome. This compares with one in 700 babies born with mums aged 35 to 39, and one in 1,500 babies born to mums aged 20 to 24 (ONS 2010). All women are offered screening tests in pregnancy for genetic conditions, such as Down syndrome. Your age will be factored in to the result. An abnormal screening test result simply means that additional testing is recommended. Out of every 100 women who take a screening test, about 5 (5 percent) have an abnormal result. However, only about 4 to 5 percent of women whose test results show an increased risk for Down syndrome actually have a baby with Down syndrome (8)

As women age, the chances of chromosomal abnormalities such as Down Syndrome increase. These abnormalities typically occur due to a decrease in the quality of the egg with aging. A 25-year-old woman has a 1 in 1000 chance of having a baby with Down Syndrome. The chance is 1 in 30 in a 44-year-old using her own eggs. 6 A woman who's 49 has a one-in-nine chance of having a baby with Down syndrome—but the test doesn't account for fluctuations in that number based on whether her partner is 24 or 64

Pregnancy After Age 40: The Odds, The Risks, And Whether

  1. -The incidence of Down syndrome in infants born to mothers under the age of 35 is less than 0.5%-Down syndrome is caused by a trisomy of chromosome 21.-The risk of having a baby with Down syndrome more than doubles for 45-year old mothers compared to 40-year old mothers
  2. Large studies have been carried out to look at the risk of Down's syndrome related to a mother's age and have shown that: A 20-year-old woman has a 1 in 1,500 chance of having a baby with Down's syndrome. A 30-year-old woman has a 1 in 800 chance. A 35-year-old woman has a 1 in 270 chance. A 40-year-old woman has a 1 in 100 chance
  3. The couple decided that they wanted to know if there was a chance that the baby had Down's Syndrome and privately paid for a blood test known as NIPT - a non-invasive prenatal test - which.
  4. It can happen to anyone at any age. I had a perfectly fine baby well past 35. And then are zillions of women who have had genetically normal children well past 40 and even 45. You can have amniocentesis if you want to find out about Down Syndrome, when you still have time to make a decision
  5. If you have screening for all 3 conditions, you will receive 2 results: 1 for your chance of having a baby with Down's syndrome, and 1 for your joint chance of having a baby with Edwards' syndrome or Patau's syndrome. If your screening test returns a lower-chance result, you should be told within 2 weeks
  6. The doctors do put fear into you, and my biggest worry was that my child might have Down's syndrome because the risks of that are so much greater when you're older
  7. The risk of having a baby born with Down syndrome, the chromosomal abnormality women are most aware of, increases from one in more than 1,000 in your 20s to one in 250 at the age of 36

Pregnant at 45 - What to Expec

Really sorry for the bad news, the clinician said, but there's a 99 per cent chance you are having a baby with Down's syndrome. The woman's voice was low and grave, pity seeping. Experts have found that this spot tends to accumulate fluid in babies with chromosomal abnormalities. Babies with increased fluid at the base of their necks are at a statistically increased risk of having a chromosomal problem, such as Down syndrome (trisomy 21), Edwards syndrome (trisomy 18) or Patau syndrome (trisomy 13)

What are the risks to the baby for a mother over 40 years

Down syndrome or Down's syndrome, also known as trisomy 21, is a genetic disorder caused by the presence of all or part of a third copy of chromosome 21. It is usually associated with physical growth delays, mild to moderate intellectual disability, and characteristic facial features. The average IQ of a young adult with Down syndrome is 50, equivalent to the mental ability of an eight- or. A newer option is the Non-Invasive Screening Test (NIPT), which is a blood test that screens with great accuracy for Down syndrome and some other chromosomal abnormalities.The test is now covered by provincial health plans in Ontario and British Columbia for women who are considered at high risk (for example, if you have had a baby with Down syndrome already) and is available privately in.

For example, the test may show that there is a 1 in 1,000 risk of having a baby with Down's syndrome. This means that for every 1,000 pregnant women, one will have a baby born with Down's syndrome and 999 will have a baby born without Down's syndrome. So, this would be quite a low risk One factor that increases the risk for having a baby with Down syndrome is the mother's age. Women who are 35 years or older when they become pregnant are more likely to have a pregnancy affected by Down syndrome than women who become pregnant at a younger age. 3-5 However, the majority of babies with Down syndrome are born to mothers less. Her baby, who had Down Syndrome, seemed like a miracle to her. These are the stories of three other women who conceived babies after age 40- three other women ecstatic to conceive so late in life. A woman's chances of conception start to fall around age 25, and by age 45 healthy women without known infertility have only about a 5% chance of.

At age 45, the risk of having a child with Down Syndrome is around 1 in 40 (and some statistics are as low as 1 in 25). Here are some figures from online sources: What is the risk of birth defects in babies of women over 35? The risk of bearing a child with certain chromosomal disorders increases as a woman ages Down syndrome - High risk pregnancy. Down syndrome represents the most commonly reported chromosomal abnormality and one of several that can be properly diagnosed while the baby is still inside the uterus. There are specific tests which can confirm or rule out the condition and allow a woman to decide whether she wants to keep the baby or opt.

Daulat Farms | Daulat Farms Group of Companies | Daulat

According to the Down Syndrome Society, Down syndrome occurs in 1 out of 733 pregnancies. As a woman gets older, her risk for having a child with the condition increases dramatically. A woman who is 45 years old has a 1 in 30 chance of having a child with Down syndrome The risk of a baby having Down syndrome and other chromosomal abnormalities is also directly related to the level of maturity of the mother. The risk rises gradually with age, until age 35, and then the risk increases more rapidly. At age 35, the risk of Down syndrome is 1/350 - but by 45, the risk approaches 1/35 With the blood tests, I was given a chance of my baby having Down's Syndrome of 1:10. I opted not to do the amnio and waited until my daughter was born to find out that she was just fine. It wasn't always easy More fluid than normal in the back of the neck means there is a higher risk for Down syndrome, trisomy 18, trisomy 13, Turner syndrome, or congenital heart disease. But it does not tell for certain that the baby has Down syndrome or another genetic disorder. If the result is abnormal, other tests can be done

Pregnancy At 45 Or After: To Have Or Not To Hav

In the case of Down Syndrome, the child receives an extra of Chromosome 21, for a total of three. In the case of Trisomy 18, there are three sets of Chromosome 18. Mutations in the number of chromosomes (either more or less) will affect the way the baby grows and learns. People who share the same variance in chromosomes will display similar traits You can have a growth restricted baby with a normal amniocentesis. So you were clear for the reason you had the amniocentesis. 2. The low PAPP-A is a risk factor for Down syndrome but in some patients it can be a marker for poor pregnancy outcome (low birthweight, preeclampsia, etc.). 3 The chances of a woman in her 40s having a baby with Down's Syndrome is 16 times higher than if she was 25 The number of women in their 40s having children has nearly doubled in a decade The most common is trisomy 21, known as Down syndrome. The other two autosomal (non-sex chromosome) trisomies that sometimes result in a baby are trisomy 13 and 18. Unfortunately, babies born with these trisomies usually do not survive

What are the odds that you are having a child with Down

NT less than 3.5 mm is normal when the baby's CRL measures between 45mm and 84mm. NT of 2.9mm is also within the normal range limit. Babies with NT between 2.5mm and 3.55mm is considered completely fine. As NT increases, the risk of the baby to have Down's syndrome also increases together with other types of chromosomal abnormalities Down Syndrome This is, by far, the most common complication that people associate with older pregnancies. At the age of 35, you have a 1 in 353 chance of giving birth* to a child with Trisomy 21. By the time a woman is 40 years old, the odds of having a child with Down Syndrome has increased to 1 in 85 As mothers get older, they have a bigger chance of having a baby with Down syndrome. When a mother is 20 years old, she only has a 1 in 1400 chance of having a baby with Down syndrome. When a mother is 45 years old, she has a 1 in 30 chance. But younger mothers have babies more often than older mothers A 25-year-old woman has a 1 in 1,2000 chance of having a baby with Down syndrome; by age 40, the risk has increased to 1 in 100, according to the National Down Syndrome Society. That number jumps to 1 in 10 by age 49. 7 . Genetic screenings will be offered during your prenatal care appointments There are factors that increase your risk of having a child with Down syndrome: Advanced maternal age. The older the woman is, the older her eggs are. Older eggs are more likely to divide abnormally. At age 35, your risk of having a baby with Down syndrome is about 1 in 350. At age 40, the risk is 1 in 100. By age 45, your risk is 1 in 30

· At age 45, 1 in 30 · At age 49, 1 in 10. In order to help evaluate a woman's risk for having a baby with certain birth defects, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends that all pregnant women, regardless of age, be offered a screening test for Down syndrome and certain other chromosomal birth defects DNA is analyzed to see if there is an increased risk for the baby having Down Syndrome (trisomy 21) or trisomy 13 or 18; This technology detects about 98-99% of cases of Down syndrome with a false-positive rate under 0.5%; However, It is less accurate for detecting trisomy 13 and 18; Sources Down's syndrome. Your risk of having a baby with Down's syndrome may increase slightly as you age, but only if your partner is over 35 (Sartorius and Nieschlag 2010, Harris et al 2011). A certain type of leukemia (Petridou et al 2018). However, the increased risk is very small and leukemia is still rare among children of older fathers

Down syndrome is an inherited disorder that causes intellectual disabilities and various health problems. Down syndrome screening tests can tell whether an unborn baby has a higher chance of having the disorder. Other Down syndrome tests can confirm or rule out a diagnosis. Learn more And that a woman's chances for a trisomy pregnancy mostly depend on her age. So a 25 year old mother has around a 1 in 476 chance for a trisomy pregnancy while a 45 year old mother has a 1 in 20 chance. In most cases, having had a previous trisomy pregnancy doesn't affect these numbers very much at all The chance of having a baby with Down's syndrome increases from less than one in 1,000 under age 30 to one in 400 for women who become pregnant at 35. The likelihood of Down's syndrome continues to increase as a woman ages. So by age 42, the chance that a pregnant woman will have a baby with Down's syndrome is one in 60 Down's syndrome is not common, but the chances of having an affected baby increase as you get older. If a previous pregnancy has been affected by Down's syndrome, your risk is increased threefold

Having said that, there are occasions when the chance of something not being right becomes a significant risk - for example, the risk of Down's syndrome for a 45-year-old is around 1 in 30, which. Though I had just a 1 in 100 chance of having a baby with Down syndrome based on my age, the thought of having a baby with a chromosomal abnormality never crossed my mind I'm having a baby at 47. At 47, Luisa Dillner has four children she adores - the eldest is 21. And now she's pregnant with a fifth, the last thing she expected at her time of life. Luisa Dillner.

With Gene Disorders, The Mother's Age Matters, Not The Egg's : Shots - Health News For a long while doctors thought that an egg's age relative to others explained why older women are more likely. The triple screen or AFP-3 test is a blood test offered to most pregnant women. This test screens for those at increased risk for a baby with a genetic disorder, especially Down syndrome and trisomy 18, or a neural tube defect. This test is typically done after 15 weeks and before 21 weeks' gestation Maternal age and Down syndrome. The risk of having a baby with Down syndrome increases with advancing maternal age. While the risk is highest among older mothers, more than half the babies with Down syndrome are born to mothers under 35 years. This is due to higher fertility rates in younger women Current studies done on first trimester maternal serum screening has shown that the double marker test helps to identify 90 % of women at risk for Down syndrome, 94 % of all major chromosomal defects such as Patau syndrome, Edward syndrome, triploidy and Turner syndrome, and 60 % of other chromosomal defects, such as deletions, partial trisomies, unbalanced translocations, and sex chromosome. The best tests available would tell 95 of the women that they are at high risk for carrying a baby with Down syndrome and incorrectly tell five women that they are low risk. Now consider 100 women.

Down Syndrome: Causes and Risk Factor

Before we get to the actual risk factors there are a couple of things that you need to know about screening tests for chromosomal abnormalities like Downs syndrome. These screening tests are conducted in the first or second trimester and gives a p.. However, if you're an older mom, you do have a higher chance of having a baby with a chromosomal abnormality (Johnson and Tough 2012, RCOG 2011, Utting and Bewley 2011). These include Down syndrome and the rarer chromosomal condition Edwards' syndrome The older the mother, the greater the chance of abnormalities that can contribute to conditions such as Down syndrome, especially after age 35. Fathers, on the other hand, constantly make sperm. 12 Baby With Down Syndrome. Mothers over the age of 35 increase their baby's chance of developing Down syndrome. Doctors and studies have shown that women over the age of 35 account for more than 50 percent of all births with Down syndrome. In fact, the rates for a woman over this mark of age to deliver a baby suffering from this condition is.

There is a strong correlation between the maternal age and the incidence of trisomy 21. The chance of having a baby affected by this condition is more in mothers who are above 45 years of age. Clinical Features. Flat facial profile; Oblique palpebral fissures; Epicanthic folds; Mental retardation; Most of the children with Down syndrome have an. This is why the risk of Down's syndrome and other chromosomal disorders rises with age, from less than 1 in 900 in at 30, to 1 in 180 at 35, to 1 in 60 at age 40. This increase in chromosomal abnormalities in her eggs accounts for almost all of a woman's diminished fertility in her late 30s and early 40s Women with a reduced ovarian complement may have an increased risk for a child with Down syndrome. Am J Hum Genet. 2000 ;66(5):1680-1683 64. Kline J, Kinney A, Levin B, Warburton D. Trisomic pregnancy and earlier age at menopause. Am J Hum Genet. 2000 ;67(2):395-404 65

Why does a woman's age impact the risk of Down syndrome in

Take the odds of having a baby with Down syndrome. A 40-year- old mum's risk of having such a baby is 10 times higher than if she were under the age of 30. Dr Tan said: Medical advances have. And yet the risks are substantial: A 40-year-old man has the same chance of fathering a child with schizophrenia as does a 40-year-old woman of giving birth to a child with Down syndrome Babies born to older mothers have a higher risk of certain chromosome problems, such as Down syndrome. The risk of pregnancy loss is higher. The risk of pregnancy loss — by miscarriage and stillbirth — increases as you get older, perhaps due to pre-existing medical conditions or fetal chromosomal abnormalities

Risks of a Down Syndrome Baby for Older Moms

Overall, the most common chromosomal disorder is Down syndrome (trisomy 21). The risk rises with maternal age from 1 in 1400 pregnancies below age 25, to 1 in 350 at age 35, to 1 in 200 at age 40. Down syndrome is the second most common chromosomal abnormality associated with increased nuchal translucency, after Turner syndrome (45,X) Makes it illegal for a doctor to knowingly perform an abortion being sought because the baby has or may have Down syndrome, or, if the doctor does not know whether Down syndrome is a contributing. By age 43, the chances of achieving a successful pregnancy through IVF are less than 5%, and by age 45 egg donation turns out to be the only reasonable alternative. Clinical pregnancy rates and live birth rates are lower in recipients 45-50 years old, while the miscarriage rates are higher. Success rates of IVF with own eggs vs. donor eggs Chromosomal abnormalities can result in conditions such as Down's syndrome (NHS 2017a). About one in every 1,500 babies born to a mum aged 20 to 24 will have Down's syndrome. Compare this with about one in 270 babies born to mums aged 35 (NHS 2017a)